Friday, March 10, 2006

Is Congress More Dangerous than Dubai Ports?

I believe Thomas Sowell when he tells me that a group of people of average intelligence is better than one very smart person. I don't know if he has ever applied that to congress. Adding William F. Buckley's thoughts on random governance, I sometimes think that one person picked by lottery could do better than the "leaders" we have now.

Before I stray too much off the target, I have a solution. I'm inclined to think the problem lies with how people crave the spotlight and thus run like lemmings over every populist cliff. I propose that congressional types have to wear burqas and work in anonymity. Maybe the dutch could give us theirs after the ban.

The reaction of congress, the people and the media is pretty depressing to me. It's short-sighted and shows a recurring misunderstanding of how the world works. Where to start?

Number one, the UAE has been more supportive of our war on terror than France has. Which brings me to another point: if foreign "ownership" (which it certainly wasn't) is so dangerous, where will it stop? Should we stop foreign planes from potentially dangerous countries from entering US? If the UAE meant us harm, they could do more with Emirates Airlines, which I believe flies into 4 US cities...including New York.

Is this the same Congress that hardly blinked when the Chinese Military took over the Panama Canal? Talk about a threat to national security. Isn't this the same media that reluctantly had to cover the bribary scandal, by which the Chinese tried to influence our government to sell them more secrets, that is, other than the ones they had either stolen or already bought.

Arabs are taking control of our PORTS! Has anyone actually seen the CEO of the company? He's British. As I've pointed out in other articles and since I've actually visited Dubai and regularly talk with people there, most Arabs don't actually run anything. They hire other people to do it. It's something I regularly criticize Arab culture on.

Rather than hurt us, these types of investments help us as The Wall Street Journal reiterates ad nauseum. It's a global market. It really does exist.

This was purely a reactionary move based on prejudice. I'm all for sending messages to the Arabs showing how angry we are but this was the worst move to make. It merely shows how petty we are. Dubai Ports now comes off as being the bigger player, almost as an adult decides it's better to let the child stay up late rather than continue to hear all the moaning and crying.

Why did Congress do this? Why was the movement so bipartisan? Republicans did it because they feared losing their strong position on national security. The Democrats, many who tend to engage in multi-culturalist rhetoric, cynically tried to steal that position. The Republicans rather than lead the people and explain why this was okay to the American people dropped their principles and ran for the cliff.

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger g said...

GA,

As cowardly as the current crop of Congressmen are, I'm still stunned at how knee-jerk the port reaction was on both sides. It's clear that there is no consensus on either side to try to actually do anything constructive. I guess they'll try to get a line item veto in and abdicate the rest of the powers granted them by the Constitution to the Executive, and go golf with some lobbyists.

Hope you're doing well.

g

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Geoffrey Armone said...

Well, the line item veto might be the only way to control the budget. It's pretty obvious that Congress doesn't work. The amount of pork and the lack of proactive legislation means, to me at least, that we pay some 500+ people to grand stand, hoping one day to run for president.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Geoffrey Armone said...

Oh yes, Helen and I are doing well. How are things with you?

J

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger g said...

Celine and I are doin' well, thanks for asking. There's a Ween show coming up at The Tabernacle, but Celine ain't keen for Ween, which I find obscene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home